Candle Common Sense


Melt Pool and Burn Time

A soy candle is different in that it develops a “memory” each time it’s burned. We wick our candles to melt all the way across when given sufficient time. The wax melts about one hour per inch of diameter, so it can take up to three hours to get a full melt pool with a three-inch jar.

Like in the picture, the melt pool will be about a centimeter deep. This will give you a full 60 hours of total burn time and the best scent throw. The smell comes from the molten wax rather than the flame!

If the candle doesn’t have a chance to melt fully across each time, it will tunnel afterward. The flame will gutter due to inadequate oxygen and you won’t get much time out of it.

Wick Trimming

The best way to extinguish the flame is blow it out with a quick gentle burst of breath. Be careful not to get too close or to spatter the wax.

Once the wax has cooled, pluck off the mushroom head and remove any debris from the wax. Never drop matches or debris into the wax.

Trim the wick to ¼ inch before lighting your candle each time.

Humidity and Cotton Wicks

We use wicks made of cotton and paper. We do not use metal-core wicks. Burning metal is gross and not ecologically sustainable.

By definition, the job of a wick is to draw liquid from one end to another. The wick pulls the molten wax up to feed the flame. However, when unlit, the wick can also draw moisture down into the candle. Please do not leave your unlit candles outside or in other humid conditions. The wicks could become moisture-laden and become unable to hold a flame!

Safety First

  • Always remove any wrapper from the candle before burning. Do not burn your candle in the wrapper.
  • Limit maximum burn time for any candle to 4 hours.
  • Keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
  • Place candles at least three inches apart from one another while burning.
  • Burn within sight, on a stable, heat-resistant surface.
  • Keep away from drafts and flammable materials.
  • Keep away from children and pets.
  • Any time you have a damaged candle container of any kind, please do not light the candle or use it in any other way.